[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia, MediaWiki logos uploaded

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 07:59:56 UTC 2003

Erik wrote:
>Aside from that, I believe the "umbrella organization"
>logic is correct --  it would not be fair to our other
>projects (Wikibooks, Wiktionary, Wikiquote), all of
>which are coming along nicely, to use the Wikipedia
>logo for the Wikimedia foundation as well.

I could not agree more, but would like to add that the word "Wikimedia" (by
itself) is the whole thing - the foundation and all projects including
MediaWiki and meta. The term "Wikimedia Foundation" is more specific and
deals just with the foundation.

>The present Wikimedia logo is nice and abstract
>and favors none of our projects in its style or
>substance.

Exactly why it is perfect. Here are some more reasons; it is a copyright
symbol turned on its side so that the open part points up. Within that space
an abstract flower grows. The symbolism is perfect for Wikimedia.

>That is, put the logos for all of our projects in
>small versions on the letterhead, next to the
>large Wikimedia logo.

This sounds like a good idea, at least until Wikimedia becomes nearly as
famous as Wikipedia is already. By that time we might have so many projects
that the letterhead would be too cluttered (not to mention distracting - we
want people to /read/ the letter, not ponder the letterhead ;).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)