[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia, MediaWiki logos uploaded

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 07:32:52 UTC 2003

Jimbo wrote:
>Is it really sensible to have different logos for the
>Wikimedia Foundation and Wikipedia itself?

Because Wikimedia is the /whole/ thing (the foundation, Wikipedia, Wiktionary,
Wikibooks, Wikiquote, and yes MediaWiki), while Wikipedia is just Wikipedia.
Different projects need different logos; the foundation also needs a logo and
minus the word "Foundation" that same logo also symbolizes the whole free
content wiki package along with the software that serves it.

Just because Wikipedia is the bomb right now and the foundation and other
Wikimedia projects are almost unknown in comparison, is not a good reason to
abandon the establishment of distinctive branding. Nuff said.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

PS: All that is really needed to establish a sense of Wikimedia-wide
cohesiveness is the phrase "A [Wikimedia] project]" right below the logo on
each Wikimedia project. [Wikimedia] would be a link to our project portal at
http://wikimedia.org