[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia, MediaWiki logos uploaded

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Oct 17 21:57:01 UTC 2003

Jimmy-
> But, I wonder.  We're not a huge media organization, yet.  And the
> beneficial branding impact of a logo depends on people actually seeing
> it a lot.

I think that is a good reminder that we need to increase the profile of
the Wikimedia Foundation. At the very least, each of our projects should
have a link to it on every page. We should strive to make the Wikimedia
page itself somewhat useful as well, with a clear mission statement, and
perhaps the news directly on the main page (weblog-style).

Aside from that, I believe the "umbrella organization" logic is correct --
it would not be fair to our other projects (Wikibooks, Wiktionary,
Wikiquote), all of which are coming along nicely, to use the Wikipedia
logo for the Wikimedia foundation as well. The present Wikimedia logo is
nice and abstract and favors none of our projects in its style or
substance.

As for letterheads, I believe the name "Wikimedia" is sufficiently close
to "Wikipedia" for people to have some familiarity with it, but just in
case, we could use a design like this:

[  WIKIMEDIA  ]                            [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[             ]                            [ WP] [ WB] [ WK] [ WQ]

That is, put the logos for all of our projects in small versions on the
letterhead, next to the large Wikimedia logo. And, of course, we could
write something like this in the intro:

"Wikimedia's largest project is *Wikipedia*, a free encyclopedia with over
X articles in Y languages..."

Regards,

Erik