[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Oct 12 13:28:37 UTC 2003

Delirium-
> Not to mitigate Brion's work, which is certainly very valuable, but
> development work also isn't the only useful thing that goes on at
> Wikipedia (as many sites seem to forget).  For example, a good use of
> funds (in my mind) would be to pay researchers a minimal token salary
[snip]

I believe any such use of funds should be decided democratically or in
consensus. There are probably lots of experts writing on Wikipedia who
have not disclosed their expert status, and who might be disappointed if
others get paid for what they do for free. Similarly, lots of amateurs
might invest much more time to produce high quality material than a paid
expert would.

If we ever get enough funds for this question to be relevant, we may want
to provide a page where users can apply for grants to do a specific job.
Other users could then comment on whether these grants should be given or
not.

Regards,

Erik