[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Andrew Lih alih at hku.hk
Sun Oct 12 11:46:11 UTC 2003

> How about advertising in scientific magazines? But before we
> do that we should make a survey what jobs and interests our
> readers have so we can focus one advertising in a
> Wild-West-magazine somthing like "Billy the Kid wanted! Write
> and article about him in the WP" Ads should be 1) cheaper
> than experts and 2) reach more people.

Many times when reviewing articles I would think, "Gee, my buddy Bob
could really add something to this article..."  To facilitate this, it
might be nice to have some boilerplate viral marketing text users can
send out, like:

Hi Bob,

Alice thought your expert knowledge can help Wikipedia's article on
"Nuclear Astrophysics"  Click here to contribute to Wikipedia, the
world's fastest growing, open content encyclopedia.

You could even imagine having a link in WP's left-hand menu, like the
"Email this link" or "Tell a friend" link on other Web sites.  Of
course, there are risks, such as Wikipedia being perceived as spam
generator, so more thought is necessary.  But I think the
person-to-person marketing has potential.

-Fuzheado