[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Jens Frank JeLuF at gmx.de
Sun Oct 12 10:05:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 03:13:18PM +0800, Andrew Lih wrote:
> Perhaps I'm completely cynical, but the variety of suggestions about
> hiring experts to keep watch, or college professors, or
> "known-neutral-and-knowledgeable" folks is a bit troubling and un-Wiki.
> (And for those who know what I do for a living will find it ironic. :)
>
> If this route is considered, we should ensure no greater authority will
> be conferred upon this class of contributors.  So far, the suggestions
> by Delerium and Mav have been innocent enough, but could be dangerous if
> it becomes related to ownership, entitlement or keeper-status of certain
> topics.
>
> In the most extreme case, it reminds me of "The Simpsons" episode where
> the Mensa chapter of Springfield take responsibility for running the
> town (with their so-called "genius") only to have things go horribly
> wrong, and have Stephen Hawking come by to chastise them. :)

Agreed. For the programmers, I think we have real good ones. They are just
too busy keeping the site up on a day-by-day basis that they don't have
time to improve performance. Brion for example has some real good ideas
how to decrease DB-load dramaticaly using caching. Currently though he's
busy rebooting the machines and checking the databases after crashes.

Give them the new hardware and they will find more time to work on the
code.

Regards,

JeLuF