[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sun Oct 12 07:16:44 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Delirium wrote:
>

>>For example, a good use of funds (in my mind)
>>would be to pay researchers a minimal token
>>salary for adding information on relatively
>>un-fun but need-to-be-in-an-encyclopedia topics.
>>

>With a large enough grant we could hire college professors part time to
>contribute to selected topics. Yes, that would be neat.
>
>One thing I would love to see happen would be a college (or even high school
>for that matter) Latin instructor work with his or her students on creating a
>whole bunch of Latin articles. Heck, he or she could also work on a Latin
>textbook too!
>
>We could have year long contracts and move from language to language among the
>smaller Wikipedias. /That/ would majorly kick-start many language Wikipedias
>that might otherwise languish for years. I'm a firm believer that one of the
>major reasons why Wikipedia took off was due to the fact that Larry Sanger
>was a full time paid editor of Wikipedia during its first year.
>
>A webpage designer and usability experts could also be hired to revamp our
>user interface. With enough money we could get a lot of the less-than-fun
>stuff done that would otherwise take a long time relying only on volunteers.

I agree with all these ideas---another way of getting funding for
content that pops to mind would be encouraging others to make these
sorts of payments, either in addition to or instead of donating to us
directly.  It's already fairly commonplace for grants to be written to
fund development of open-source software (so far the US government is
the biggest spender here, but there are a few others), so perhaps we
could get people to give money for the purpose of contributing to an
open-content Wikipedia.

I could see, among many other examples, a [Greek/Polish/Italian/etc.]
cultural heritage organization being willing to give a grant to a
professor for contributing to the [xx] culture and history section of
the English Wikipedia, or just in general to the [xx]-language
Wikipedia, as such an endeavor would fit perfectly with their mission of
spreading awareness of [xx] culture---whereas simply donating cash to
Wikipedia would be harder to justify within their charter.  Of course,
NPOV will be an issue (we don't want a fiercly nationalistic Greek or
Turk writing the history of that conflict, for example), but we deal
with those already, and I think such grants could have lots of benefits.

-Mark