[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Peter Bartlett pete at pcbartlett.com
Sat Oct 11 23:29:36 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Grevers
>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:54:18 -0700, Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> gave

>utterance to the following:
>
>> The current balance in the Paypal account is $7,040.09 USD.
>>
>> This came as a complete shock to me and is primarily the result of a
>> single large contribution of $5,000.
>>
>> I'm not sure of the proper etiquette here, I am bursting at the seams
>> to thank this person publicly, but with no indication really that
>> I have permission, I'll let them remain anonymous for right now!
>>

>I think it is for the best if they remain anonymous. I can see
potentially
>undesirable consequences of active wikipedians making large dontaions,
>being named, and then, should some dispute arise invoving that person
in
>the future, the fact of the donation being misused with "proprietorial"

>implications. The risk of it being used as an accusation against the
donor
>is probably greater than it being used by the donor or their advocate
in
>the dispute.
>  And it's quite a nice feeling having mystery benefactors :-) And let
us
>not forget all the "widows mites" as well.

A completely reasonable point.

However I think this donation is absolutely fabulous news and would
personally like to honour the contributor in some way as a tiny token of
thanks. Therefore I offer to write a good article or fix two stubs on
the subject of the donator's choice [*]. If he/she wishes to take up the
offer, he/she could remain anonymous to me in various ways if needed.

Pete

[*] Please no slippery slope arguments right now on where this could
lead. This is a day for rejoicing!