[Wikipedia-l] Logo consensus?

James Duffy jtdire at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:58:27 UTC 2003

> > There seems to be a strong consensus developing on [[m:Final logo
> > variants]] for this logo variant of the winning logo:
> >
> > http://meta.wikipedia.org/upload/7/7a/Nohat-wiki-logo.png
> >
> > So far only one person has said that it is worse than the current (new)
> > logo while 19 have said that it is better. What do you say, should we
>try
> > the consensus approach for a change and just replace the logo until
> > someone objects very strongly and annoyingly? Then we can start refining
> > this one some more.
>
>Hard to say whether that's nicer or worse than the current one. In either
>case, I think there should definitely be another round of voting;
>everything
>else would just generate the impression that we first hold a multi-round
>public vote and then ignore the results.

That proposed version is much much better. The trouble with the current logo
is that it does two conflicting things. It introduces an interesting graphic
look, the uncompleted globe in colour /and/ text on the globe. The text
isn't intended to be read, but small text, on jigsawed colour, in a broader
graphic, looks too cluttered. The old graphic was good because it was simply
shaped single tone text. Colour /and/ text /and/ graphic shape in a small
logo in the corner of a computer screen is too cluttered by far. It lacks
clarity, lacks definition and recognition.

JT