[Wikipedia-l] Interstate charitable solicitations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 7 18:00:19 UTC 2003

Brion Vibber wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Delirium wrote:
>
>> What about things like Brion's notebook fund-- is he
>>supposed to register that in all 50 states too?  The whole thing seems a
>>bit ridiculous, which is probably why most people just ignore it.
>>
>Damfino, but I'm not a charity; I expect to pay income tax on it and
>would consider it to be technically 'wages, tips, and other income'.
>
>Yay taxes!

You make it sound like you enjoy paying taxes.  Not being a charity does
prevent donors from taking deductions for their donations.  The amounts
that you received were not received as a part of a business venture, nor
would the donors receive any clearly identifiable, direct benefit.
 These amounts are gifts, and as such are excludable from income.

Ec