[Wikipedia-l] What if?

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 20:02:30 UTC 2003

--- Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> The databases are backed up weekly. I keep a copy of
> it all at home, and
> so should you.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Considering that en:wiki is up to {{CHANGESPERHOUR}},
it may be that a week's loss is too much to bear, and
would piss a lot of hard working contributors off, if
by some strange mishap it in fact was lost.  Perhaps a
different kind of "revisions dump" would be a good
idea-- of just changed articles for the day previous.
(Im not talking out of my ass am I?) Such a dump would
be way smaller, too meaning more people could make do.

Not that I think that BL's "what if" scare scenario
has much merit.
~S~

PS--  By the way, is there a timestamp we can use
besides our four tilde sigs? For Wikipedia:Cleanup.