[Wikipedia-l] Logo ratification and variants

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 20:53:53 UTC 2003

The new logo has been ratified by all Wikipedias. I have asked
Paullusmagnus (the designer) to make the final modifications he deems
necessary in accordance with the requests of various people who have made
comments and will then replace the logos on the servers. I have asked him
to create three different additional variants of the subtitle "Wikipedia",
namely French, Latin and Esperanto. (I personally think it's very bad that
the name is different in these languages. Many people have expressed a
strong desire to keep the differences, though.) Further language variants
may be designed as needed.

In the past weeks, substantially different implementations and variations
of the same logo concept have been created. Please take a look at them at

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_logo_variants

I believe Nohat's variants are especially noteworthy. However, these are
not the logos people have voted for and it is doubtful that consensus can
be reached to use one of them instead of the current one. I will be happy
to be proven wrong here and encourage informal opinion polls in the next
weeks to figure out how people feel about these logos.

Failing consensus, given the current voter fatigue, I suggest revisiting
the issue one or two months from now. This gives us enough time to work on
new and exciting variants, and at that point, we may decide to hold
another vote on whether we want to replace the current concept
implementation or keep it. I hereby resign my role as contest coordinator,
as the original contest is finished, but will provide assistance if
necessary for any new vote.

Regards,

Erik