[Wikipedia-l] Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

user_Jamesday user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 11 03:57:32 UTC 2003

Addressing various points:

1. Does the main Wikipedia/Wikimedia foundation really want to be located on French soil and subject to French law with all international funds subject to judgements by French courts? I don't think that's wise unless it can't be avoided.

2. Technically, isn't a caching proxy server a better idea? That way, those in France can avoid the transatlantic round trip time increases but still edit the main wikipedia/Wikimedia databases. (Mav, that's something your test didn't show, unless you were doing it from a French proxy service)

3. Caching proxies seem like a better way to obtain legal isolation, since proxies and caching are fairly widely accepted as being different from the sites they are caching. I assume that the French foundation can be set up as a non-proft dedicated to increasing the responsiveness of the Wikipedia when accessed from within France.

4. This is also a nice model for local caches around the world.