[Wikipedia-l] series of articles and navigation table

Antoine thoane at altern.org
Sun Nov 9 22:50:46 UTC 2003

[repost as 1st didnt reach newsserver it seem]

Hello,

I was reading the History of Germany articles and found the navigation
table on the right quite useful:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Germany

I think this will improve wikipedia just as much as the automatic table of
content did.

A way to implement this feature would be to point a parent article to all
it's childs and vice versa. That might be done using [[parent:articlename]]
and / or [[child:articlename]].

Let's look at an example:

History of Germany
-> Franks
-> Holy Roman Empire
-> German Confederation
-> German Empire
-> Weimar Republic
-> Nazi Germany
-> Germany since 1945

Franks article is interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franks) as it
is part of two series (History of France AND of Germany).

So the History of Germany will have:
[[child:Franks]]

And Franks will have:
[[parent:History of France]]
[[parent:History of Germany]]

Maybe we just need the parent tag ? Setting up a parent tag in an article
will automaticly update the parent article without using any child.

cheers,

--
Antoine
http://fr.wikipedia.org/