[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] How to get the IP of a logged user ?

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 22:53:29 UTC 2003

--- Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com> wrote:
> >> Daniel C Boyer... you know, this "*relatively*
> unknown"
> >> US painter. There had been a lot of discussions
> on en: wiki to
> >> admit "him" as an article.
> >
> > I really don't see what your problem is. It's not
> like we're about
> > to run out of space. There's no need to harass
> Boyer.
> >
> > Finally, wikitech-l at wikipedia.org is not the
> appropriate place to
> > discuss trying to stalk other users.
>
> I'm definitely with Cunc here on both counts. I
> don't have a
> problem with anyone being both a contributer and a
> subject--we've
> already had that case before, and it's no problem as
> long as the
> subject understands that the article about him in
> the main wikipedia
> space is not his personal page, and may be edited by
> others in ways
> he doesn't like.
>
> And yes, this is clearly not a "tech" issue, so I've
> moved it to
> the main list.

I only half agree with you and TC, Lee

I agree with the fact we don't lack space, and I have
been (nearly alone, thanks ffx) strongly supporting
keeping Daniel page. I see not where is the pb in
keeping it. Of course, I see nothing wrong with edits
made by Daniel, or by any anonymous ip on this
article. The facts reported by Daniel or another are
strictly exact. If there were biased, someone would
edit them, and that would be all there would be to say
about it.

But there is no sense in discussing it any further
since the page will be deleted anyway. Most
french-speaking prefer removing information rather
than risking offering a little bit of fame to an
artist, boo!.

However, where I *disagree*, is that the place where
Alvaro asked the question was the right one.

Maybe you didnot understand the question ?
Alvaro thinks it is wrong that Daniel himself edit his
article page. He thinks that is another good reason to
delete the article. So, he wanted facts to support his
case.
He wanted to know whether that anonymous ip was Daniel
or someone else. In short, he wanted to know how he
could retrieve Daniel IP address.

I guess his question was a technical one; so it is
quite natural his reaction was to ask that question
here. It was perhaps a wrong question, but it was, to
his view, the right place.

And I don't think he was offered the right answer. Not
everyone is aware of unspoken rules.

Anthere (without accent)