[Wikipedia-l] Two issues here:

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 20:43:16 UTC 2003

Two issues here: wrote:
> To use an example that is sure to make everybody's blood boil: suppose
> you are an admin on an open web site that's located in a country where
> child porn is legal. Someone posts child porn there. Your country's
> police asks you to remove it. You refuse, arguing that your country's
> jurisdiction doesn't apply to the server. I don't really want to be in
> your shoes.
>
> Axel

That only works in a case where there is a legal connection between the
"admin" and the website. In our case, all but one of our "admin's" are just
users. Jimbo would be the only one that could theoretically be compelled to
do anything that would not be immediately restored by another admin in a
nation where the offending material is fine.

Things will get sticky when we have a Wikimedia Foundation though. I imagine
many longtime users from around the world will have legal roles in the
Foundation....

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)