[Wikipedia-l] Re: Getting rid of nicknames

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 04:07:22 UTC 2003

tc wrote:
> I'd say that people have been seriously abusing the nickname function.
> People really should not have nicknames that are significantly different
> from their usernames.
>
> People should not use nicknames that closely resemble other people's
> usernames.
>
> People should not use unpronounceable nicknames.
>
> People should not use nicknames that are made up of non-alphabetical
> characters.

I agree. We should therefore make a policy about this while keeping the
ability to have nicknames. There is nothing wrong with my nick, no?

It should be reasonably easy to associate a nickname with a user name. Doing
otherwise was cute at first but after a while it does border on rudeness
(however unintended).

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)