[Wikipedia-l] interlingual use of image

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 21:06:41 UTC 2003

As I understand, there are two ways to use an image from another
language-wikipedia.

One is to download it (say, from Meta) and upload (say, to Japanese).

The other is to use the URL of the image. like this:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/upload/c/c0/Japan_global_locator_closeup.png

Is one way more recommended than the other? Is there any discussion of
sharing or not sharing images across language-wikis? I see that the first
takes more storage capacity, while the latter may cause more burden on the
server when a page is downloaded (though I'm not sure).

Thanks for help,

Tomos