[Wikipedia-l] Getting rid of nicknames

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 20:19:56 UTC 2003

If my understanding is correct, at least part of the recent conflict
between Anthere and Guillaume has to do with two people using the same
nickname. I will take the opportunity to reiterate my plea to get rid
of the nickname feature altogether.

The main reason is that nicknames make discussions harder to follow,
especially if people keep changing them or use ones with undisplayable
symbols.

Since the initial user name is already completely self-chosen, I can't
see any justification for an additional nickname layer.

If I remember correctly, we initially implemented nicknames to
accomodate users with offensive user names. This issue is now moot,
since by consensus offensive user names are not allowed anymore.

Axel