[Wikipedia-l] Re: Two issues here: what is legal to have on the server and what is legal in the user's nation

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Fri May 16 11:37:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 13:06:53 +0100, Kurt Jansson <jansson at gmx.net> gave
utterance to the following:

> BTW, is it just prudery that I seldom see nudity in american movies, or
> are there laws against it? If so, this might become a similar problem.

To some extent it is a commercial decision. If a film steps over the
boundary where it will earn a restricted rating then a big chunk of the
potential audience is unable to spend money on it. I think you will find
that the "boundary" moves according to the target audience - an action
movie which will appeal to the young will not get away with as much before
earning an R as an intellectual movie aimed at an older audience.
And of course sometimes the star's contract stipulate's what they will and
will not do.
--
Richard Grevers
Two most common elements in the universe: Hydrogen & Stupidity.