[Wikipedia-l] New server sort of online

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed May 14 12:19:53 UTC 2003

The English Wikipedia is now accessible via our new web server,
code-named Larousse. Until the domain name change goes through, the old
server will continue to do double-duty on the database and the web
stuff, and the new web-only server will be accessible for more thorough
real-user testing via http://larousse.wikipedia.org/ .

Caveats:

* Uploading has been temporarily disabled to keep files and database
from getting out of synch; once Larousse is more or less established in
the www. slot, we'll enable it there.

* TeX works, but there's the same synch problem as with uploads. No big
deal though, since they can be wiped and regenerated automatically. :)
So if you see missing equation images, don't worry, it's just temporary.

* There may still be other things oddly- or mis-configured that I
haven't found yet. :)

* There have been some reports of weirdness such as old revisions of
pages (even edit pages) being shown. It's not 100% clear what the
problem is; it may be related to browser/proxy caching of pages, and/or
broken database transaction freezing some connections in a state with
obsolete data. May or may not be fixed.

I'm not entirely clear on whether the DNS change is through; it may take
a bit to work its way fully through the system anyway. At some point,
though, Larousse will take over as www.wikipedia.org. Database downloads
and mailing list archives aren't yet moved over to larousse; they'll be
accessible in the meantime via pliny.wikipedia.org, with automatic
redirects from www.wikipedia.org.

And that's about it for the moment... I'm going to catch a few hours'
sleep and hope the rubble clears by morning. ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)