[Wikipedia-l] Article count reform

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Mar 12 13:52:00 UTC 2003

> (1) If we should be a registered user in meta in order to vote.

Yes, please create account on Meta-Wikipedia. This will be useful for
future votes as well.

> (2) If we should vote in individual language-wiki.

No, project-wide votes should be held on Meta.

> (3) How to count votes of those who have multiple usernames
> across multiple languages.

For now, we need to count on honesty: one person, one vote.

> (4) If we need any weighing of votes by language - balancing
> voices from less-populated wikis with populated wikis.

I don't think so. Equality, liberty etc.

> (5) If we care preventing a username.

??

> (6) If we need some time to make translations of the voting page
> in multiple languages.

I hope English will be good enough for now. Syncing votes across several
pages would be a pain.

> The more I think about this kind of procedural difficulties, the
> more I feel uncomfortable relying on voting as a measure of
> conflict resolution.

We should always seek a consensus first. But if that is not possible, the
only alternative to some kind of voting system is to rely on a single
arbitrator -- in our case, Jimbo.

>  Especially when the stake is high and
> there is some serious disagreements, I suppose designing a
> good voting system could be very difficult. We might need
> some bureaucracy for it.

I don't think so. We primarily need software support for whatever voting
system we choose to implement.

> Another possibility that I can think of is multi-staged
> voting.

Yes, if complexity gets too high, we need to split up the issues into
stages.

Regards,

Erik