[Wikipedia-l] Image usage

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 9 19:36:13 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote:

>A company I worked for was engaged in the shady business of scanning other
>peoples high-end catalogs for use of the images on the web. After consulting
>a lawyer, who said that it was ok to use the images provided there were
>seven changes made to them... seven degrees of removal from the original...
>I don't know if this holds water well enough for here..

The "seven changes" rule doesn't make sense.  Consider the picture of a
famous man sitting at a desk.  On his desk, among many other things is a
yellow pencil. One change could be to change the colour of that pencil
to blue.  I could easily find another six such minor changes.  Using
this seven-changes rule strikes me as contrary to the spirit of the law.

Eclecticology