[Wikipedia-l] limit of edits for anonymous users

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Mar 6 12:33:44 UTC 2003

Chuck Smith wrote:
> Could we have a limit of 50 edits for anonymous users?
>  I just don't think anonymous users should be making
> this many edits in one day...  what do you think?
> ...and yes, this is happening in the Eo Wikipedia!

Can you list out the pro's and con's of this?  What's the harm?  What
would we lose by imposing this policy?

PRO's: it might stop some simplistic vandal-bots, if any ever show up
to harass us

CON's: it might annoy legitimate contributors who choose not to sign
in for whatever reason

It seems to me that many non-logged-in users are concerned about
privacy and anonymity, but they've really not grasped the true
situation in the software.  You're *more anonymous* when you log in.

--Jimbo