[Wikipedia-l] selling Wikipedia and licensing

Lee Daniel Crocker lee at piclab.com
Wed Mar 5 21:11:38 UTC 2003

> (Chuck Smith <msochuck at yahoo.com>):
> > We can
> > probably get away with it, since we have an
> > educational goal, no
> > commercial interests, and are not an attractive
> > target for lawsuits,
> > but selling (extracts from) Wikipedia in any form is
> > made almost
> > impossible by these fair use landmines.
>
> From what I understood.  I could go out tomorrow,
> print Wikipedia as an 20-volume encyclopedia set and
> start selling it tomorrow, without having any legal
> problems.  Am I wrong here?  Perhaps a CD-format would
> be more practical though.  ;-)

You're not wrong; that's probably well within the confines
of both the GFDL and fair use.  However, the FTC might have
something to say about marketing a non-saleable product...

> Also, could someone direct me to a page that
> illustrates why being under the GFDL license is better
> than simply being public domain.  I've pretty much
> ignored all the discussions before about it, but now
> I'm involved in a few projects and we're thinking
> about our license policies, so...

There's really only one reason: more people are willing
to contribute to copylefted projects than to PD projects.
It's purely a human emotional response: some people feel
cheated if their generosity is used in other ways, and so
they are more willing to work for a project that enforces
that. (Though others, like me, would say that it wasn't
really generosity in that case).

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,