[Wikipedia-l] Meta-question: wiki links in list/news posts

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 3 18:16:51 UTC 2003

Richard Grevers wrote:

> I notice that many wikipedians refer to wikipedia pages in these
> discussion groups using wiki markup: e.g. [[this_article]]. That's
> very cute, but highly impractical in terms of actually linking to the
> article from a mail/news client. I usually have to resort to
> searching, particularly with meta pages that I'm not familiar with the
> url syntaxt of. Would it not be much better to paste the full url from
> the browser in list messages?

Not really.  Sometimes using the Wiki markup is simply shorthand for
saying "The article named "this article'".  It lets us know that
reference to an article is intended.  Pasting the full URL is a lot of
work when you are just trying to send off a quick note.  The reader who
wants to check the article in question (if it is not a purely
hypothetical one) can still copy and paste to the search box on any
Wikipedia page, and press "Go".

Eclecticology