License discussion (was: [Wikipedia-l] [robertocasiraghi at iol.it: Can Wikipedia articles be translated or "manipulated" to teach English?])

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 16:58:28 UTC 2003

--- Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 19:09, Axel Boldt wrote:
> > Erik Moeller writes
> > >Note that the FDL does not mean that you "lose" your copyrights,
> only
> > >that others will be able to copy and modify the so-
> > >licensed text. We consider this fair:
> >
> > Not all of us, as fighting against intellectual property rights
> > using the tools of intellectual property strikes some as
hypocritical.

> It might, if this were a project that fights against intellectual
> property rights. It isn't. It's a project that fights *for*
> intellectual property rights *for everyone*.

... as long as it is understood that "everyone" is defined as "everyone
who is able and willing to use a license compatible with GFDL". Those
who for various reasons use one of the couple dozen incompatible open
content licenses are granted by us only a single right: the right to
read. That's exactly what they get from encyclopedia.com as well.

Axel