[Wikipedia-l] mangle addresses (Re: Re: PayPal is set up)

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Mon Aug 25 22:26:59 UTC 2003

Matthew Woodcraft
<mattheww at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in
news:20030823094149.GA6542 at chiark.greenend.org.uk:

> Gustav Foseid wrote:
>> It was gmane that that mangled the address.
>
> Why don't we turn that feature off? It's clear that it can cause
> confusion, and we don't mangle addresses in the web archives of the
> lists.
>
> -M-

If there is support for it I can ask gmane to swith it off. But this is not
a good idea i find.

The email adress is not realy mangled but "encrypted". If you send a email
to  a @public.gmane.org email adress you recieve a auto-responds that you
have to confirm befor it is forward to the real adress.

It is a very good anti-spam function and you still can send a email to
person. It is one the reasons i like the gmane acces to much, your email
adress is save from spammers.

--
Contact: walter AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie