[Wikipedia-l] i hate copyright laws

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 20 17:57:47 UTC 2003

Bj wrote:

> I guess this will ignite a large debate but um... Is "fair use"
> material allowed on WP? (Answer yes or no plz :-).

Maybe.

> Then, can images from this site
> http://www.pics4learning.com/index.php?view=image_use be used in WP?
> Once again, yes or no.

Again maybe.

The "pics4learning" site has " ©2002 Tech4Learning, Inc.
<http://www.tech4learning.com> All rights reserved" at the bottom.  I
translate this to mean that they claim all the rights they can, but
since it's too much of a hassle to figure out which rights they have, or
which apply to which image, they leave that joyous task and risk to the
user.

The "fair use" debate appears regularly in the mailing lists, and has
been successfully controversial.  Don't expect any easy answers.
 Insisting on a "yes or no" answer sounds too much like a lawyer who
wants the witness to incriminate himself.

Ec