[Wikipedia-l] 300,000 is a much better milestone

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 18:29:36 UTC 2003

Erik wrote:

>Good idea, but will we still make a big announcement when
>en: reaches 150K? From the looks of it, the two will nearly
>happen at the same time.

Let's wait for the 300,000 milestone and then make just one uber announcement.
We don't want to be in the situation where a news director decides not to run
our 300,000 milestone/Project wide/Wikimedia story because they already ran
an article on Wikipedia the week before. Let's get the biggest bang for the
buck.

>Well, IMHO all of the logos should be in the same general
>style.

I don't agree with this at all - each project needs to have its own very
distinct logo so that each project can be instantly recognizable when readers
are using interproject links. Readers need to know very fast where they are.

>Daniel wrote:
>>..(major need: the porting over of pyWiki's php/GPL
>>WikiGroup functionality)
>
>Hmm, not sure this is really essential for the
>wikibooks project.

Oh yes it is very essential - without it we cannot organize books in the
WikiWay. Yeah sure we can hard code navigational aids like Next and Previous
Page but 1) that is tedious, 2) it is very inflexible (any change of
organization in a book's TOC would be difficult to implement) and 3) that
ensures that each module can only be used for a single book. This is counter
to the whole idea of having modules (which could, on the fly, be assembled
into various different configurations just by changing the Wikibook's TOC;
and there could also be several different TOC's for the same set of modules).

>Perhaps the template idea
>could be complemented to support this.

What template idea?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)