[Wikipedia-l] 300,000 is a much better milestone (was: Preparing for 150,000 articles)

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Aug 4 12:38:01 UTC 2003

Andre Engles wrote:

> I disagree. I think it is strange to count the various languages together
> into one number. Some of these articles are translations of each other,
> others are different articles about the same subject. It would be like
> Larousse adding the number in the Petit Larousse and the Grand Larousse,
> or the publisher of English-XXX dictionaries adding up all languages.

In those examples, the dictionaries are separate projects.
Wikipedia is a single project conducted in different languages.

> Having many languages available is certainly a good thing, but just adding
> up the numbers gives a wholly false image.

I don't understand this statement. How is saying we have a total
300,000 articles giving a wholly false image?

Stephen G.

-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org