[Wikipedia-l] Re: 300,000 is a much better milestone (was: Preparing for 150,000 articles)

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Aug 3 18:29:15 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote

> NOTE: The growth of the non-English versions of Wikipedia since
> January of this year has been /far/ more impressive than has the
> growth of en.wiki during the same time period; ~35,000 total articles
> in January to ~120,000 total articles in July.  So, I think it is
> about time we had our first Wikipedia-wide press release and try to
> stop mentioning the success of the other languages only in passing.

Yes, this is very true.

Wikipedia NL has now 9990 articles. We will send very, very soon a press
relase.

Just look at the numbers;
2003-04-13; 4897
2003-05-25; 6104
2003-06-22; 7026
2003-08-02; 9990 (10 000??)

And take in to account;
- Dutch is a very small language if you compare it whit English or German
- No automatic created articles form a file like on some wikipedia's
- No help from users who like more to work at the big wikipedia instead of
that in there own language.

--
Contact: walter AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie