[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 30 16:49:45 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Which project are we going have our interlanguage links point to?
>AstroNomer has already finished translating language-ES.php and wants the
>developers to install the new Phase III software for the Spanish Wikipedia on
>the Wikipedia server.
>
>What is everybody's preference here? Should we majorly help revive the
>Spanish Wikipedia by upgrading their software or should we put our support
>behind Encyclopedia Libre.
>
>However, my gut feeling tells me that we should at least try to work with EL
>and then if that doesn't work our fallback plan would be to upgrade the
>Spanish Wikipedia and put all of our support behind them. However, if we do
>go this route and EL upgrades and we point our interlanguage links there,
>then what about all the work that is going on right now at the Spanish
>Wikipedia?
>
>I think this is very important because the project that gets our new
>software, inter-language links, support and future inter-language
>functionality is probably the project that will endure. I know it will be the
>project I contribute to.
>
>Any other thoughts on this?

As for software availability, I don't see this as an either/or
proposition.  There should be no particular problem with upgrading the
Spanish Wikipedia without regard to what's happening at EL  The software
can be made available to the EL people if they want it, but integrating
it with what they have is their task.

Clearly our interlanguage links should be to the Spanish Wikipedia, but
nothing would prevent further links to EL where an alternate view of a
subject might be represented.  I also see no problem with either project
copying articles from the other.

There's even something healthy about having more than one active
project, in that if anything happens to one, the other is still there.

If supporting EL were to be considered as a viable first choice, I would
be inclined to ask questions about their long term financial viability.
 What guarantee is there that they will not be a refuge for spamvertising?

Ec