[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia is not Usenet (was Re: Re: Policy)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 21:20:20 UTC 2002

On Saturday 28 September 2002 05:33 am, The Cunctato wrote:
> This is where you're wrong. In general, policy is decided by
editing the
> policy pages. If there's contention, then it moves to the talk pages.
> Only in the rare case where this is somehow "dangerous" (because the
> policy has sweeping and immediate consequence) or the process breaks
> down horribly does it need to go to the mailing list.

Where is this written? Policy has to be decided first before being changed.
Period. I think you are pretty much alone in your assertion that policy
can be changed unilaterally and then must be challenged if somebody
disagrees. This may seem logical to you because you are so accustomed to
confrontation (being an old Usenet guy) but for others that just want to work
in harmony under a consistent (yet evolving) set of guidelines, this is not
the way to do things.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)