[Wikipedia-l] Re: Deletions and respect.

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Sep 27 12:34:06 UTC 2002

Brion VIBBER wrote:
> IOW, the policy pages _describe_ project policy, they don't _define_ it.
>
> It's been frequently noted that policy and documentation pages aren't
> always consistent with practice. Sometimes this means the pages should
> be changed, sometimes this means practice should be changed, sometimes
> it means both.

Very well stated.  And policy is policy-by-consensus with only in rare
rare rare exceptions me stepping in to set something as definitive
(wikipedia is an encyclopedia, for example, as opposed to a joke
collection).

The nature of wiki is that there is often no final judge on matters
like these.  That's a problem, but it's also a huge benefit.

One thing it does ask of us: to work in a spirit of love.

--Jimbo