[Wikipedia-l] Deletions and respect.

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Thu Sep 26 18:13:34 UTC 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, The Cunctator wrote:

> Please, I ask you, if you want to delete a page, show some simple courtesy,
> as set out in the guidelines.
>
> 1) List page on Votes for deletion.
> 2) Wait.
>

> Several of you have stopped doing this on a regular basis.
>
> Most of the time the deletion decisions themselves are unassailable.
[snip reasonable-sounding description of a few hasty deletes]
> I have trouble with the idea that people who are incapable of respecting the
> uncomplicated and clear deletion policy, after having been reminded of the
> basic procedures, should be allowed to delete pages.

You raised this issue just a few days ago and presumably everyone who has
used the delete function in a manner with which you disapprove is now
familiar with your views about hasty deletion.  It seems clear, having
looked at the ensuing exchange, that they disagree with you, Cunc--not
necessarily that there is an issue of respect or lack thereof here.

This is not at all to deny that, in perhaps every case listed, the delete
was questionable.

> Of course, if there were soft deletes, this wouldn't be an issue.

I sure hope we get them soon.  This will remove any further grounds for
this sort of power struggle.

--Larry