[Wikipedia-l] Deletions and respect.

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Thu Sep 26 14:27:15 UTC 2002

Please, I ask you, if you want to delete a page, show some simple courtesy,
as set out in the guidelines.

1) List page on Votes for deletion.
2) Wait.

Several of you have stopped doing this on a regular basis.

Most of the time the deletion decisions themselves are unassailable.
However:

* 15:01 Sep 26, 2002 Jheijmans deleted "Organizational structure of
Jehovah's Witnesses" (created today, but then cleared because not needed)

The JW pages are in the process of being edited. The deletion of this page
was entirely inappropriate.

* 14:56 Sep 26, 2002 Jheijmans deleted "Talk:Knocking her dead one on the
nose each and every double trey" (talk of removed page)
* 14:56 Sep 26, 2002 Jheijmans deleted "Talk:Gamefoolz" (talk of removed
page)

Both Talks were of real interest, from a meta perspective. They should have
been moved to meta, or moved to the Wikipedia:Historical Wikipedia pages
space. Or at least so the argument goes. An argument/move which I was unable
to make, since they were deleted summarily.

I have trouble with the idea that people who are incapable of respecting the
uncomplicated and clear deletion policy, after having been reminded of the
basic procedures, should be allowed to delete pages.

Of course, if there were soft deletes, this wouldn't be an issue.