[Intlwiki-l] [Wikipedia-l] embassies and diplomats (fwd)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Sep 26 05:54:28 UTC 2002

Pursuant to KQ's suggestions, I've started a page on the English wikipedia:

   http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Embassy

This is indended to serve a few purposes:

* Summarize current cross-language issues (software conversion,
interface localization, interlanguage linking, ...?)

* Link to the equivalent embassy page on the other language wikis
(please make them!)

* Link to the Intlwiki-L list, reminding that it's available

* List 'Wikipedia Ambassadors': polyglots who can keep an eye on
discussions across the various wikis and lists they frequent and act as
go-betweens and representatives when big decisions are being made.

On this last, I'm assuming that in general there is at least one person
on each language wiki who's already participating in at least one
other-language wiki and can keep an eye on the local embassy without too
much trouble. The embassy can thus serve as a communications post for
people who need to deal with that specific wiki; drop a message there
and somebody hopefully can decode and reply to it, or else find the
specific ambassador you need and contact them directly.

I look forward to expanding this system, and hope it turns out useful!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)