[Wikipedia-l] Naming Conventions (names and titles)

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Sep 26 04:27:19 UTC 2002

Fred Bauder wrote:

>I doubt that very many of the people in question deserve much of
>an entry or mention and those that do are generally known by their common
>names, although, for example, Elizabeth Windsor, is almost unrecognizable
>by her common name.

I believe that there is a technical sense in which Elizabeth has no surname.
That is, while the royal family, as an abstract entity unto itself,
has the name "Windsor", its individual members do not.

I think that the most important thing is to establish a list
of all the reasonably likely forms that naive links will take
and a policy that they should all be created,
as redirects or disambiguation pages (depending).
Which of these forms is chosen as the naming convention
is less important (as long as its an unambiguous one).

-- Toby