[Wikipedia-l] generic markup and miscoded templates

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Sep 25 20:51:27 UTC 2002

> Level-three headers (===) are well established as the standard
> header on Wikipedia. If you hate this so much, better to simply
> redefine it to pump out ideologically correct H2 tags instead of
> H3 rather than to prescribe the change of thousands of pages and
> demand a change in markup behavior.

I don't think it's "well established" at all.  I always use
== for my first subheads, and many others do as well.  There's
a nice simple correspondence between ==/H2, ===/H3, etc.  H1
is reserved for the article title.  If we shifted === to
produce H2 as you suggest, then what whould == produce?

I have heard complaints that people think H2 is rendered too
large; that can be fixed with stylesheet changes, and I'm
certainly open to doing that.  But let's settle on a standard
for reasons other than mere inertia.