[Wikipedia-l] Feature request

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Sep 24 09:45:15 UTC 2002

Jens Frank wrote:
> Agreed so far. But instead of having automatic assignments of categories
> I would suggest to have a small number of perhaps 20 major categories:

That's _wayyy_ too limited. I want to be able to have, say, a category
of California-related articles so I can keep track of the pedia effort
on my home state; such as this manually tossed-together list:

   http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Topic_index_California

> Recent Changes might be extended to provide a filter so Larry
> can look for his Philosophy articles.

Automatic or semi-automatic maintenance of lists for using the existing
"Watch links" function is the main thing needed, as well as a
centralized location for them. (Wikipedia:Categories?) Having a magic
namespace, ie putting pseudo-links like [[Category:Philosophy]] or
[[Category:California]] into articles, is one possible way of sourcing
the lists, though I'm not sure it's the ideal way.

It might also be interesting to "combine filters"; ie, show everything
linked to from the California list _and_ everything from the Philosophy
list (or only those linked to from both...)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)