[Wikipedia-l] Naming Conventions (names and titles)

Tesla Coil tescoil at ilbbs.com
Mon Sep 23 09:44:54 UTC 2002

For example, we have Edward Stanley, the 14th Earl of Derby
and Edward Stanley, the 15th Earl of Derby.

Wikipedia:Naming conventions (names and titles) might suggest
these should be [[Edward, 14th Earl of Derby]] and [[Edward,
15th Earl of Derby]].

Or, it should be [[Earl of Derby]] and [[Edward, 15th Earl
of Derby]].  The 14th Earl of Derby was Prime Minister, and
arguably moreso *The* [[Earl of Derby]] than the 15th Earl
of Derby.

I must say I dislike this, because there are plenty of minor
conflicts of fact to sort out in research of a given century
without having to chase down every Lord Halifax to ascertain
whether they are *The* [[Lord Halifax]] for all centuries.

Appeals for "consistency" may have been blown away in debate
on city names, but I've more important things to do than play
favorites between this Lord Halifax and that Lord Halifax.

In no case is it [[Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby]] and
[[Edward Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby]]. "English-speakers do
not put family names as part of the title."

Meanwhile, [[Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby]] redirects
to [[Thomas Stanley]]...