[Wikipedia-l] Questionmark Links Considered Harmful

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Sep 23 06:20:06 UTC 2002

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Somebody else wrote:

>>You can change the default behaviour in your user
>>preferences. Check "Highlight links to empty topics",
>>and links to empty pages will be red, instead of the
>>little blue question mark.

>Thanks, I didn't know that! Of course I still think this should be the
>default.

I've been using highlighted links since before I knew what they were.
I think that I must have clicked on the option by accident or something.
Whenever I see the "?" links, I'm shocked at how uninterpretable it is,
*especially* when the "?" follows a link of more than one word.

I never suggested switching defaults because of accessibility.
But if that can be worked around now, then let's switch.
(Current users' preferences should stay the same, however.)

-- Toby