[Wikipedia-l] Block repeated copyright violator?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 19:03:44 UTC 2002

On Saturday 21 September 2002 08:57 am, you wrote:
> > I blocked someone for repeatedly inserting text from a copyrighted
> > website about Amiga operating systems. Should someone be blocked for
> > that?
> >
> > phma
>
> In my opinion?  Absolutely they should be blocked. This is not like my
> too-quick-on-the-draw proposal of earlier which was - I now think rightly -
> thoroughly criticized by the list participants. This situation conforms to
> the standard for calling something "vandalism":  *repeated* efforts to
> insert non-useful (and in this case actively harmful)  text.
>
> I mean, we have the blurb about not inserting copyright text in boldface on
> each edit page.  They had every opportunity to post something on a talk
> page if they thought the material was legitimately usable; instead they (I
> presume) just chose to repeat it rather than discuss it. I think your
> action completly appropriate.
>
> -- April

I agree and have done the very same thing several times in the past. In my
opinion, persistent copyright violations are the /worst/ form of vandalism
since their presence threatens the legitimacy of the entire project and if we
have a lax attitude about it then the project itself may be legally liable.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)