[Wikipedia-l] A Three Way Split

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 18 16:30:19 UTC 2002

Fred Bauder wrote:

>I was watching ABC news and saw a believable statistic, that 40% of the
>adult population can't read at the 5th grade level.  Not much we can do for
>them.
>
>But it got me thinking and then I read a short article in a book of exerpts
>from ETC about tailoring your writing to the semantic capacity of your
>audience
>
>I have noted in my own writing style that I tend to mix up material of all
>three types in the opening paragraph. A conscious choice to write for our
>likely audiences would, IMO, result in a more useful (and authoritative)
>enclyclopedia.

The motivation for this is commendable, but I don't see it as a
reasonable course of action.  It reflects the process that leads to a
"dumbing down" of education.  More can probably be done to improve
skills by having articles where the reader has to stretch just a little
to be able to understand what's going on.

The 40% of "adults" who can't read above the 5th grade level are not
likely to be using computers or spending a lot of time on the internet
anyway.  The adults who did not graduate from high school probably have
limited computer interest as well.  The most promissing audience is
likely the student who is not yet old enough to have graduated.

There's a real challenge in knowing just who comes to Wikipedia to
simply read select articles and why they read what they read.  Currently
5 of the top 10 most viewed articles (after the Main Page) relate to
9/11 and another two are of current affairs nature

In any event, writing in this three level fashion is a particularly
difficult thing to do.  Those who are very knowledgeable in their own
specialty sometimes have no appreciation of what it is that the general
public wants to know about their subject.  Some subjects can't even be
simplified at all.  How we interpret the concept of writing for the
benefit of lower reading abilities is another problem again.  There was
a situation a few years ago in the United States where the Internal
Revenue Service decided that all of its tax guides should be written to
be readable by people with a 10th grade reading level.  What that meant
was that a long difficult word would be replaced by a phrase or even a
whole sentence full of simpler words.  That made the the guides at least
50% thicker.  The person who didn't care to read a 100 page manual,
wasn't going to be any more enthusiastic about a 150 page manual even if
it did contain simpler language.  To make matters worse, those people
who were able to make enough sense of the guide to pick out what was
relevant for them became turned out by the excess verbiage.

Asking that the lead paragraph of an article reasonably and succinctly
defines the subject matter may be as much as we can hope for.

Ec