[Wikipedia-l] Logging out

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 17 01:51:51 UTC 2002

At 09:38 AM 16/09/02 -0700, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>The system seems to have developed a new bug!
>
>I can be properly logged in and occupied for a time when I try to go to
>another page, and it appears as though I had logged out.  If this has
>happened while I was working on a longer edit, it means that the edit is
>then credited to my URL rather than my pseudonym.

I've had this happen to me every once and a while too. I'm not sure if it's
exactly the same bug, though. Here's the basics;

*I never, ever get this problem on my home computer. I'm running Mozilla
1.1 and I've set my login to be remembered across sessions.
*I occasionally get this problem when editing articles on a computer in the
university computer lab. I use Netscape 6 there, and I _don't_ set my login
to be remembered across sessions just in case I forget to log out. Also,
since Netscape 6 doesn't have tabbed browsing, I usually have many browser
windows open. I'm not sure whether length of article is related, it doesn't
happen often enough for me to have developed a strong pattern.

I'm thinking that the problem may likely be something to do with
single-session logins getting lost prematurely. Which way do you log in,
multiple or single session?