[Wikipedia-l] Common typos (was: Tucci528)

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Sat Sep 14 19:32:06 UTC 2002

At 06:57 PM 9/14/02 +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 04:45:48PM -0700, lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> > > There are some typos and common spelling mistakes which are
> > > no-brainers to catch and fix, but require a lot of grunt work.
> > > Would it be possible, or desirable, to have a system which does
> > > a search for one particular error at a time, eg "recieve", and
> > > corrects all the pages it finds in batches, of say 20, to avoid
>
>Why doesn't someone just add a function, that before
>submitting every article/change, it runs a spell checker, writes
>all the ``mistakes'' and possible ``corrections'' along with
>an editable field of the article bellow. This way the editor
>can see his/her mistakes and correct them very easily.

Because some of us find these things very irritating, and rarely
run them on software that comes with them. Conversely, those
who want such a function can copy the text into a word
processor that has it, run the spell-check, and make the changes
they want. We don't need to burden our programming team, or
our software.

--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org