[Wikipedia-l] pseudonyms

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 03:54:39 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 07:10 pm, Jaap wrote:
> Yes, but I try to use the same name since my birth.
> Names aren't unique, but it gives others at least a slight
> handle on other's person's being. In trade it's quite
> essential to know from which person money is due.
>
> And:
> Honost people have nothing to hide.
>
> >kq, or lf, or mt
>
> Grow up.

Jaap why the hell is this an issue? If KQ wants to be only known as KQ both
on Wikipedia itself and the list then that is KQ's choice.

Who knows KQ may be Rupert Murdock or some other high profile person that
just wants to contribute without having to carry the baggage of famoushood.
Or KQ just may be a person who wants to have a clean separation between an
online persona and a real world one.

There is nothing at all wrong with that. Freedoom to be anonymous if you want
to is one of the /primary/ reasons why Wikipedia is so successful.

Given names are often stupid and arbitrary; I've always hated my own name
because it doesn't at all fit my personality. So I created a online pseudonym
7 years ago (maveric149) which is explained on my user page. I also often go
by the less obvious pseudonym Sean Avery which I much prefer over my real
name.

I still would be using by pseudonym if I hadn't forgot to reset my email
client to display Sean Avery instead of my real name. But alas.

Again - something you have said has caused yet another string of unproductive
posts. Can we get back to policy please and stop making provocative comments?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)