[Wikipedia-l] little earthquakes page - song extract?!

Jaap van Ganswijk ganswijk at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 10 23:22:45 UTC 2002

At 2002-09-10 00:32 +0200, Giskart wrote:
>Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>>The page for Little Earthquakes, a Tori Amos album, includes an extract
>>from one of the album's songs. This seems a bit dubious, copyright-wise!
>>I've removed the link for now, to be safe. Does anyone know if the
>>extract is legally OK for inclusion in Wikipedia? Check the history of
>>Tori Amos/Little Earthquakes to see the page with the link (damn
>>subpages).
>>
>There was some talk about this a few weeks ago, somthing about the articel of Simon and Garfunkel (there is also audio there).
>The English Wikipedia calls it "fair use"  and allow it. The Dutch Wikipedia calls it a copyright violation and does not allow it.  Do not know of the others. -- giskart

Correction: We didn't arrive at a consensus on the Dutch Wikipedia.
I think that a small fragment should be fair-use. Also under Dutch
law (which is basically the same as current USA/international law
as I explained here earlier). On the Dutch Wikipedia we decided
to 'disallow' such audio fragments for now because there was little
need for it yet and we didn't want to pursue the matter further
at this stage.

Greetings,
Jaap