[Wikipedia-l] Copyrighted images

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 10 15:35:41 UTC 2002

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>If I take a photograph with my own camera, of a copyrighted image on the cover of a videotape -- then am do I own the copyright of my photograph? May I include my photograph on a website?
>
>Or, does the copyright of the original image deny me the "right" to "copy" by photographing it?
>
>See [[Raiders of the Lost Ark]] and other articles illustrated with fan photos of apparantely copyrighted images. I'm worried about liability issues that threaten the Wikipedia.

Yes, you have a new copyright in your photo, but it does not invalidate
any previous copyrights that the movie production company may have,  The
way you are using it on Wikipedia certainly strikes me as fair use.

It also strikes me that there's not much of a liability question here.
 Are there any cases of the movie industry going after people for such
use of their promotional material?  What concerns the movie industry far
more is the wholesale copying of entire new movies.  Using your
photograph of their material on Wikipedia may be viewed by them as so
much more free advertising..

Eclecticology